Muffins are notorious for being extremely oil. But all that oil is what makes a muffin so moist and decadent. A dry crumbly muffin is nothing enjoyable. If I could eat a muffin everyday for breakfast, I would! However, all the sugar and fat is not a good boost to start the entire, tedious day. Because of my love for muffins, I came up with a guilt-free blueberry muffin recipe! Low in fat, low in cholesterol, low in sugar; it is the ultimate healthy “unhealthy” food. The secret to the healthiness of these muffins is to use an egg and fat substitute. I have swapped the canola oil for equal parts applesauce and the egg with a flax egg substitute. The substitutions are unnoticeable and no one will know that they are actually so much healthier!
Blueberry Muffin Recipe:
- 2 1/2 c. pancake mix
- 1/3 c. sugar
- (1 tbs. ground flax + 3 tbs. water) = 1 egg
- 2/3 c. water
- 1/4 c. applesauce
- 1 1/2 c. blueberries
- In a small bowl, combine pancake mix and sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flax mixture, water, and applesauce
- Fold in dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Fold in blueberries.
- Bake muffins for about 15 minutes
- Optional: Serve with pancake syrup!