I used to think cornbread was dry and tasteless, and I often wondered why people even enjoyed it, But as I grew older, I gradually began to like cornbread and yesterday I was actually craving it. And so I wet to the grocery store and bought a 2-lb bag of cornmeal for $1.04; everything else I has at home because cornbread truly is a quick and cheap staple to make..
- 1 c. yellow corn meal
- 1 c. flour
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs. olive oil
- 3/4 c. frozen corn kernels
- combine dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl
- in a large bowl, beat egg and add olive oil
- pour dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix with a spatula. Do not overmix. Overmixing will yield a tough cornbread
- stir in the corn kernels
- In a square pan, or whatever sized pan, spray with nonstick spray and heat in oven at 450 degrees F for 2 minutes. Take the pan out and pour batter in. Let the cornbread bake for 20 minutes, or more if necessary.
The one thing I love about this recipe is that it has actual corn kernels in it. Many times I eat cornbread without the kernels and although it is absolutely delicious as well, I love getting the munch from the kernels, and in fact, it is cornmeal we are dealing with so I feel the addition of corn kernels takes it up a notch. When the cornbread comes fresh out of the oven, I like to smear a little butter or drizzle with honey. Fresh out of the oven is the best time to eat it!