This is a recipe taken from Big Man’s World that is absolutely simple, foolproof, and healthy! I have made these for breakfast multiple times and they never disappoint. The great thing about this recipe is that it is low-cost, vegan, and gluten-free so it’s an ideal bread alternative for someone with Celiac’s disease. All the ingredients used are natural and are a great source of fiber from rolled oats and alpha-linoleic acid from the chia seeds. I ended up making an eggs benedict-type of breakfast with the English muffin, it goes great with almond butter (check out how to make homemade almond butter!), jam (check out how to make homemade chia jam!), honey, ricotta… really whatever you have on hand would serve as a great topping for the muffins.
Microwave English Muffin (Vegan + GF)
yield: 1 large English muffin
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (gluten free, if necessary)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds or flax meal
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce (I used a quick homemade apple sauce where I microwaved apple slices and placed in a food processor)
- 1 tbsp non-dairy milk
- In a blender or food processor, process the oats, chia/flax seeds, and baking powder until a fine and evenly mixed powder forms
- Transfer to a small cup, bowl, or ramekin, and add the applesauce and nondairy milk, and mix until dough forms. Flatten the top of the dough.
- Microwave for 2 minutes on high.
- Let it cool for 2 minutes and then slice, toast (optional), and enjoy with your toppings of choice!
On a side note, I made my English muffin breakfast a tad crazy as I loaded on the toppings, but I am all for creativity so top as you please! I included caramelized onions, tomatoes, goat cheese, cucumber slices, and turkey bacon.