Vegan AND gluten-free???? That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. As much as I love “treat yo self” days where I can enjoy a warm, gooey pizookie with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream, my GI tract often feels discomfort from the gluten and lactose gone into those cookies due to my unfortunate food intolerance to the two. However, when I made these vegan chocolate chip cookies, I felt more energized and suffered no discomfort at all because everything that went in to the cookie was really clean, pure, and minimally processed!!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies (GF)
yield: 14 cookies
- 2 c. almond flour/almond meal
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 flax/chia egg (3 tbsp. water + 1 tbsp. flax meal/chia seeds)
- 3 tbsp. vegan sweetener (or honey if not vegan)
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- dash of vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/4 c. dark chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, combine water and flax/chia and set for a minimum of 5 minutes for the chia egg to form.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda, and salt and combine well.
- Add the solid yet softened coconut oil, sweetener, vanilla, and egg until all the contents are mixed throughout. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees C. Form the cookies and place on a non stick baking tray.
- Bake the cookies for approx. 11 minutes or until the cookie is baked completely through.
These cookies are really to die for and I’ll often eat one as part of my breakfast or as a snack on the go. They also freeze really well so you could make a big batch and save them up, but I honestly finished all these cookies in just a few days