I realized whenever people ask what my sweet craving is, my go to is chocolate lava cake. A warm chocolate lava cake with a gooey interior that is so rich a decadent it puts you on cloud 9; YES HANDS DOWN THAT IS WHAT I WANT. I don’t want a regular chocolate cake, I want the LAVA!!! Now, I’ve been experimenting with lava cakes, trying to see if an alternative recipe can be made. Possibly a vegan one? Or low fat? Or gluten free? It has been difficult because the science behind the cake requires eggs, butter, gluten, etc. I’m still constantly experimenting, but I have come up with a glorious vegan recipe that is out of this world! I’m so excited to share it because it’s pretty darn good.
Vegan Chocolate Lava Cake
yield: 3 lava cakes
- 1/2 c. all-purpose
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 4 1/2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. margarine or oil
- 1/2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 c. cold water
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 squares of baking dark chocolate (I used Baker’s chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 395 F. And lightly grease all all of the inside of 3 ramekins. Set them aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk sugar and water until completely dissolved. Add melted margarine (at a very slow rate and whisking rapidly to prevent chunks) OR oil. Add vinegar or lemon juice and lemon and whisk.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt into a bowl.
- Slowly incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry and fold or whisk gently until evenly incorporated. Pour batter into ramekins until 3/4 full and add 2 pieces of dark chocolate into the center of each lava cake.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes and cool on a cooling rack for 3 min. when finished baking.
- Dust lava cake with powdered sugar or a generous scoop of ice cream.
The recipe easily serves 3 people with 3 scrumptious cakes, but I may have eaten 2 in one sitting, which I highly recommend against but I honestly could not control myself. And I’ve been craving a lava cake for so ages, so eating 2 in moderation is totally fine!
These lava cakes are the ultimate crowd pleaser and it’s difficult to fathom that they are vegan! What are you waiting for? It’s time to make this right NOW!