Honestly, I’m just drooling over here because I made brownies that ARE HEALTHY and GLUTEN FREE??? How is that even possible? I mean fats and eggs make a brownie good; they give it texture. A plant based one honestly sounds unappealing. I honestly am very impressed with my experimentation because I have failed numerous times attempting to make healthy dessert. Somehow, this turned out to be a miracle and it somehow worked. My mind is blown and I want you all to try these brownies some time!!! I love chewy brownies, so I used my knowledge of food science to make the brownies quite chewy. The chewiness comes from the maple syrup used, and gives the brownies amazing texture.
The only downside to these brownies was that I did used granulated sugar. If I attempt making these with a non-refined sugar, I will post an updated recipe. I was hoping maybe dates could be use instead, but I have yet to test that out.
Healthy Chewy Brownies (GF, Vegan, Low Fat)
yield: 8 x 8 pan brownies
- 3/4 c. oat flour (I used homemade; flour must be very fine)
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cocoa powder
- 1/3 c. + 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup + 1 tbsp warm water mixed together
- 2 tbsp flax meal + 1 tbsp water mixed together
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp chopped nuts (almonds OR walnuts) OPTIONAL
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips OPTIONAL
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a small bowl. Whisk until combined, and then add the coffee powder. Whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, add the granulated sugar, syrup and water mixture, flax and water mixture, and vanilla. Whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Pour the dry mixture into the wet bowl in 2 or 3 batches. Whisk gently but do not overmix the batter. Toss in the nuts and chocolate chips, if applicable, and stir in.
- Pour batter into a 8 x 8 baking pan and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until baked completely.
- Take the brownies out and cool for approximately 10 minutes. Dust with some espresso powder, sugar, or ganache and enjoy!