One of my favorite things to make for parties or hang-outs are pinwheels, made from canned biscuit or croissant dough. I prefer croissant dough because it is more flaky, but both are great options. You can put anything into your pinwheels, from cheese, meats, to nutella and nut spreads… it’s one of those recipes where you can’t go wrong. For a movie night with my friends, I decided to make a cream and onion filling since I really need to grocery shop and some of my friends are vegetarian. As always, the recipe was divine and I am excited to share it with you all!
Cheesy Cream & Onion Pinwheels
yield: 10-12 pinwheels
- 1 can croissant dough
- 4 oz. softened cream cheese (1/2 of a whole bar)
- 1/3 c. shredded cheese of choice (I used mozzarella)
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 3 slices turkey/ham
- 1/4 c. chopped caramelized or browned onions
- chopped green onions for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Open the can or croissant dough and unroll the entire dough without breaking off at any of the perforated points. Seal the perforated lines together so that the dough is one complete sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except turkey/ham and use a spoon to spread onto the entire dough.
- Lay the deli meat on top of the spread.
- Roll up the dough tightly and slice into 1 cm. thick pieces.
- Place onto the cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes. Once done baking, let it cool for 5 minutes and serve immediately. I served them with a side of honey dijon mustard but the pinwheel have tons of flavor on its own.
These are beyond delicious and so simple to make. I can honestly eat them all in one sitting as I watch Netflix, but this is a very decadent treat that should be eaten on special occasions only! Feel free to double or triple the recipe for mass production.