It is so crazy that food and health geeks have discovered that the use of legumes in desserts is a tasty and healthy replacement for flour and oils. While all-purpose flour has little nutrition value, beans pack protein, Vitamin B-6, and potassium, perfect for all types of people, especially. If you shop smart, chickpeas are actually ridiculously cheap. At my local grocery store, the chickpeas are $1 for a 15 oz. can or $1 for a 16 oz. bag of dried chickpeas. Dried chickpeas are much cheaper for the amount you are getting so I do opt for the dried type. The recipe I made is not vegan, but I have included a substitution to where it can be made vegan.
The cons about dried chickpeas are that you must soak them and boil them, but with planning ahead, dried chickpeas have worked fine for me.
So how do I soak chickpeas? I have a water boiler that boils water in a mi. ute so I first wash the dried chickpeas under running water, then pour boiling water over the chickpeas and allow it to soak for at least 4 hours. The chickpeas are then good to go, so very little preparation is required. The longer you soak, the better, but do not soak past 24 hours otherwise the chickpeas will sprout.
yield: 14-16 bars squares (baked in a 9 x 12 pan)
- 1 1/2 c. cooked chickpeas
- 1/3 c. almond butter
- 1 large egg OR 1 flax egg for vegan option (flax egg= 1 tbsp. ground flax/chia + 3 tbsp. water)
- 1/4 c. + 2 tbsp. liquid sweetener
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/3 c. dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Grease pan or line with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350 F.
- Using paper towels or a clean dishcloth, dry the chickpeas and place into a food processor along with all other ingredients except the chocolate chips.
- Pulse the mixture until it is creamy and fully incorporated.
- Pour in the chocolate chips and pulse for 5 seconds until combined.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake for 25 minutes. Once out of the oven, cool for 10 minutes before cutting in and enjoying the goodness!
Bars are best when fresh out of the oven and served with a glass of cold milk. Store in an airtight container and place in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Please feel free to make the vegan option. I personally like the non-vegan version better because it was a bit fluffier, but the vegan one is delicious as well. It is more dense and more fudgy.
i have 2 more cake recipe up at my blog over the weekend, with Chickpeas, suger free and glutenfree too..
I just set the dough in my frezer
What can I use as liquid sweetener? Honey? Maple Syrup? Stevia?…
You can use honey, maple syrup, agave, molasses (with some water added to it for less viscosity), even pancake syrup works too!