Oats are one of my favorite ingredients because they are very affordable, a great source of fiber, and can be used in both savory and sweet dishes. I enjoy using oat flour in baked goods because I get to enjoy a bread texture while actually getting a good dose of fiber which helps with longer satiety and improved waste removal.
In this coconut lime loaf recipe, I was able to make the recipe vegan and gluten-free without having to compensate for flavor or texture! It all boils down to a little food science, and the combination of lime juice and vegan milk creates a buttermilk which substitutes for oil! Additionally, banana also acts as an oil substitute and also a natural sweetener! I am using too many exclamation points because I cannot contain my excitement on this healthy bread recipe! It is ideal for breakfast or snack and will definitely satisfy one’s sweet tooth.
Coconut Lime Loaf
yield: 1 half loaf pan
- 1 c. oat flour
- 1/2 c. unsweetened almond milk
- 1 small ripe banana (mashed)
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- Sprinkle lime zest and coconut chips on top
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together oat flour, baking powder, and sugar.
- Add in mashed banana, almond milk, and lime juice and mix until evenly incorporated.
- Pour into a half-size loaf pan and bake at 350 F for 30-35 min. or until lightly browned.
- Remove from pan and allow the loaf to cook for at least 15 min.
- In a small bowl, mix together powdered sugar and lime juice until a glaze is formed. Pour the glaze onto the loaf and sprinkle lime zest and coconut chips on top.
- Place the loaf in the fridge to allow the glaze to harden. The glaze should harden pretty quickly.
This loaf refrigerates and freezes extremely well. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months. Before eating, I recommend microwaving the bread for about 10-15 seconds to soften up the bread.