** SCROLL TO BOTTOM FOR NUTRITION FACTS **
As October is approaching quickly, all I can think of is colder weather, sweaters, and pumpkin spice. No, I have never tried the pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks but I am a fan of pumpkin flavored foods such as pumpkin breads, pasta sauces, and pies. With that being said, it is never a wrong time to be baking pumpkin flavored things in the kitchen. The pumpkin spice aroma fills up the entire room and I am fine with just that.
Today’s baked goods are healthier chocolate chip pumpkin muffins, made with whole wheat flour and no oil. I like using pumpkin puree because it can act as a good replacement for moist ingredients in baking without having as strong of a flavor as other oil replacements such as banana puree. Adding chocolate chips is completely optional, but I find the addition of dark chocolate chips to balance out the sweetness of the muffins and it is oh so good! I also really like how the chips become melty and molten when the muffins are fresh from the oven. I am honestly drooling just thinking about how delicious these muffins are.
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
yield: 6 muffins
- 1/2 c + 2 tbsp. c whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, unpacked
- 1/2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 c. pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a muffin tin with liners of spray with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the dry ingredients except chocolate chips together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together wet ingredients until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake muffins in the oven for 20-25 min. or until cooked thoroughly.
Muffins refrigerate and freeze extremely well. Muffins can last in the fridge for up to 7-10 days and in the freezer up to 3 months. Do microwave the muffins before eating them to warm and soften it up. Enjoy with a cup or coffee, milk, or tea and you will be wishing it was sweater weather already!