** SCROLL TO BOTTOM FOR NUTRITION FACTS **
Here’s a little recipe inspired by another blog called Running with Spoons , who ingeniously made a whole grain banana bread that is oil and refined-sugar free! I altered the recipe a bit and added some nutella for pizzazz. This low-fat bread is great for breakfast or as a snack and packed with protein from the Greek yogurt and and eggs.
I make several variations of banana bread but this is the first time I have used whole wheat flour, which I have recently fell in love with, due to it “crunchiness” from the husks being intact and its better-for-you qualities overall. I’m all about making nutritious swaps without sacrificing flavor and swapping all-purpose flour to whole wheat flour is definitely the way to go. The only thing that I am not a fan of is that whole wheat flour is darker so the end product will be darker in color, which is not always a bad but I attempted a nutella swirl in this recipe and the batter became the same recipe as the nutella so the swirl could not be seen :(.
That’s ok, because this bread tastes amazing!! I will not ramble on anymore because you probably just want to know the recipe…
Whole Grain Nutella Banana Bread
yield: 1 large loaf
- 1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
- 3/4 c. oats
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 c. Greek yogurt
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 c. honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Topping: 2 tbsp. nutella, microwaved for about 10-15 sec.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the first four ingredients.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk the last 5 ingredients together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until fully combined.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan. Dollop nutella on the top of the batter and swirl with a spoon or knife.
- Bake bread in the oven for 40-45 min or until fully baked.
- Remove from oven and cool on a cooling rack for at least 10 min.
Here is a close up look for extra goodness. I mean…. how irresistible does this look?! Keep in mind that the bread is darker than regular banana bread because nutella was added. Feel free to omit the nutella. Enjoy this bread fresh out of the oven with a cup of milk, coffee, or tea and enjoy the banana aroma fill up your kitchen.
Bread refrigerates up to 7 days or freezes up to 3 months.
Enjoyed this recipe? Leave a comment below!