** SCROLL TO BOTTOM FOR NUTRITION FACTS **
This instant pot, immunity-boosting kale and barley soup is so simple, it will be ready in under 40 minutes! This soup is vegan, filling, and great for colder weather.
Attention all instant pot or pressure cooker users… this nutritiously dense soup will warm your insides and will be ready in less than 40 minutes! The most you have to do is chop up some vegetables which is simple enough. For the remainder of the recipe, simply throw it into the instant pot and let it do its thing. If you do not have an instant pot, you may use this same recipe for over heat, but the cooking time will be much longer. If you are not vegan, you may consider using chicken broth and/or adding chicken into the instant pot, using the same cooking instructions. I have tried the same recipe with chicken and it tastes great as well.
Because the soup contains so many nutritious components, I want to highlight the health benefits of each component in the soup:
Barley: Barley is a whole grain that is high in fiber, which helps facilitate digestion and facilitate secretion of toxins and waste within the digestive tract. It helps with longer satiation, which can promote weight loss and also helps with lowering cholesterol. Increased barley intake likely decreases risk of cardiovascular disease, respiratory diseases, and cancer.
Kale: Kale is a dark leafy green vegetables which means it is high in phytochemicals, which provides antioxidants to help cell damage from earth pollutants. It is also high in Vitamin C and K which help with wound healing and growth. Increased intake of kale likely helps decrease blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Carrots: Carrots are orange in color, which means they are rich in beta-carotene, which promotes good eye health, skin health, and mucus membrane health for increased absorption of nutrients. Beta-carotene is important for boosting the immune system to fight against bacteria and viruses.
Onion: Onions are also immunity-boosting and are high in antioxidants to fight against earth pollutants. Onions also help with decreasing cholesterol levels and help fight inflammation.
Garlic: Garlic is packed with many micronutrients such as vitamin B and C which are important for brain health + blood cell growth and antioxidants, respectively. Garlic is also important in reducing cholesterol and triglyceride levels and boosting immunity.
Overall, the components in the soup are whole foods (nothing processed), which all come together to form a mega immune-boosting soup. If you ever think eating more vegetables is difficult, consider soups because they are very simple to make, little preparation is required, and can be very delicious and flavorful!
Instant Pot Kale Barley Soup (Vegan)
yield: 7 servings OR 14 cups
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 c. carrots, diced
- 2 c. celery, diced
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt or more for taste
- 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper or more for taste
- 3/4 c. dried pearl barley, washed and rinsed
- 3 c. vegetable stock
- 5 c. water
- 3 c. chopped kale
- Parsley for topping (optional)
- Press the “saute” button on the instant pot and wait for the pot to heat up (takes about 1 min). Add in the olive oil and garlic and saute for about 30 sec. Add in the onion and saute for 1 min.
- Add in the carrots and celery and saute until the vegetables become translucent, about 5-7 min. While sauteeing, add in the garlic salt, and salt and pepper. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in the pearl barley and saute for an additional 2 min.
- Add in the vegetable stock and water and place the lid on the instant pot. Pressure cook on high for 30 min.
- Release the valve to let the pressure out and add in the kale while the soup is piping hot. The kale will wither in the soup.
- Serve the soup while it’s hot and top with parsley and some cracked pepper.
This soup is best eaten with a main entree or can be eaten by itself as a meal. You may consider adding chicken (if not vegan) or some beans if you wish for the soup to be heartier. The soup can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freezes well for up to 3 weeks.
I hope you all enjoy this healthy and hearty soup!