** SCROLL TO BOTTOM FOR NUTRITION FACTS **
Enjoy this 4-ingredient roasted red pepper spread with vegetables, on sandwiches, or as a marinade. It is tangy, smokey, and so diverse, great for any occasion!
Roasting bell peppers is one of my favorite things to do in the kitchen because the roasted peppers can be eaten as is or can be pickled, used in a sauce, pasta, or sandwiches. Essentially, it is a very diverse ingredient, and the roasting process requires only 1 ingredient.. the peppers itself! I was surprised that no oil or salt was required for the roasting process. Additionally, the only equipment needed is an oven, so I used my toaster oven for this recipe.
I used the roasted peppers to make a creamy spread, that can also be used for many purposes shown below:
- Dip for crackers and vegetables
- Sandwich spread
- Base for a pasta sauce
- Used as a marinade
- Stuffed in bread rolls
The dip is smokey, tangy, and tastes quite expensive but is relatively cheap to make! I highly recommend adding jalapenos for a kick of heat, but if you would like to omit it, that is fine as well. I experimented with a vegan and a non-vegan version and found that both versions taste just as good. Note that the vegan version will cost a bit more to make since vegan cream cheese is more expensive than regular cream cheese.
Roasted Red Pepper Spread
yield: 8 oz.
- 8 oz. full-fat cream cheese. Use vegan cream cheese if vegan. (I recommend Kite Hill or Daiya, or you can make your own!)
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted (Directions below)
- Jalapeno (The amount depends on spice level. I used 1 whole mild jalapeno)
- salt and pepper to taste (start with 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper and adjust gradually)
- 1 clove garlic
- Preheat oven to 450 F and place the baking rack on the highest level, about 5 in. away from the top.
- Slice a red bell pepper in half, remove the seeds lay the pepper on a baking sheet facing down.
- Bake the pepper in the oven for about 20 min. until the skin becomes lightly charred. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 min.
- When the pepper is cooled, peel away the charred skin. The skin will come off very easily.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, add the cream cheese, roasted pepper, jalapeno, garlic, and salt and pepper. Process until smooth. Taste and add salt, pepper, and jalapeno to adjust to your preference.
- Pour the mixture into a container and allow to set in the fridge for at least 1 hour. The mixture will seem more liquid-like after blending, but will harden in the fridge.
This roasted pepper dip stores well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. It does not freeze well. Hope you enjoy it!