This vegan chocolate tart is refined-sugar free and made with a unique nutritious ingredient!
The temperature has been gradually becoming warmer as Summer slowly approaches, so a cool and refreshing chocolate tart is the ideal dessert for these days! Rather than using typical ingredients for a chocolate tart, I replaced heavy cream with avocado for a plant-based and healthy alternative. A traditional chocolate pie typically consists cream, granulated sugar, evaporated milk, butter, and sometimes eggs. I was able to maintain the flavor and texture with the healthier version by using avocados, maple syrup, and coconut oil. The avocado may sound odd, but the maple syrup and cocoa powder masks its flavor. The avocado provides the tart’s creaminess and healthy fats!
The crust of the tart requires baking but the filling is completely raw. After the tart is assembled, you will have to wait for the tart to set in the fridge, which I found to be the most difficult part of this recipe! I was eager to consume the tart, but it was well worth the wait.
I do not own a tart pan so I had to improvise with a springform pan, which works perfectly fine but does not look as beautiful. I recommend using a tart pan since you can get the beautiful crust design on the sides. This recipe yields a 6 in. tart so you may double the recipe if you are making a 8 or 9 in. tart.
Vegan Chocolate Tart
yield: 6 in. tart
- 6 tbsp. margarine or vegan butter, softened
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 2-3 tbsp. water
- 2 small avocados
- 1/4 c. cocoa powder
- 1/4 c. maple syrup or agave (add more if needed)
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Sliced almonds to top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, add the crust ingredients and combine with a fork. First add 2 tbsp. of water and gradually add more if needed. Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 min.
- Remove the crust dough from the fridge and press in a 6 in. tart or springform pan. Use a fork to lightly press small holes on the bottom of the dough so the dough will bake more evenly. Place a piece of parchment paper on top and put some beans to weigh the dough down.
- Bake the crust for 15 min. Remove the parchment paper and beans and bake for an additional 5 min. Remove the crust from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- In a blender of food processor, add the filling ingredients and pulse until fully incorporated. Taste the mixture and add more maple syrup or agave if needed. Pour the mixture into the tart shell and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Top the tart with almonds and enjoy!
The tart is dense and creamy; perfect when paired with a cup of coffee or tea. It stores well in the fridge for up to 3 days when stored in an airtight container.
Must try this recipe!
I like the step-by-step approach of some of your articles as I always use the photos as guide when cooking from a recipe.
Thank you for sharing vegan food!
I am definitely trying this when my parents visit this weekend!
hope you like it!
I will definitely give this recipe a try! It looks delicious!!!
I love the idea of using avocados. Yum!
shit this looks so good. I’m definitely gonna try it, thanks for the recipe 🙂
Love love love!
OMG I have to try this, I love chocolate & avo! Thanks for sharing!
This looks sooooo good!
Sounds and looks delicious! I am not the biggest fan of chocolate but I have always wanted to try a chocolate tart.
Pretty Cool and looks so not very difficult in baking. Definitely should try..
Am I allowed to say that its amazing 🙂
The vegan chocolate tart looks delicious. You have a great blog here. The photographs are fabulous, and the recipes and dish descriptions are easy and fun to follow.
That vegan chocolate cake looks delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe 🙂
Looks good 😋
Jamie! I absolutely ADORE your blog! it is so so inspiring and your passion, dedication and creativity is impressive. You have so many fresh ideas and amazing recipes and I am so happy I found this blog – I know where to come to get ideas now. All the dishes look so terrific and i love reading the posts. Thank you so much for sharing. hope you enjoy my blog as much as I love yours
oh YUM! and looks easy toooo!!
I would like two orders of that please.
I’m not a vegan but I would eat this 🙂
It’s quite tasty!
This looks so delicious and super healthy! I think I may need to make this to satiate my chocolate cravings while still staying healthy. Thanks for sharing 🙂
Looks so tasty, like it…
Looks yummy 😋
This tart looks absolutely delicious!! 😀
looks good need to try it.
Thanks! I hope you enjoy it.
Stunning! And delicious 🍫❤️
Sent from my iPhone