These delicious potato croquettes have a crispy exterior and creamy interior and go so well with a maple syrup sriracha dipping sauce!
I typically eat fried foods only at restaurants because I am too lazy to fry my own food at home, so ordering some deep-fried snacks as appetizers has always been a treat for me! However, after pondering on the subject for a bit, I realized fried food isn’t really worth the price sometimes. It is so simple to fry your own foods, and the preparation is very simple as well. Certain foods may take longer to prepare, but with the current work-from-home situation, time has been on my side.
These delectable potato croquettes are coated with panko breadcrumbs (my favorite breading) to create a light and crispy exterior. They are stuffed with creamy garlic mashed potatoes and stuffed with mozzarella cheese. It is the perfect combination. To top it off, the croquettes are accompanied by a sweet and spicy sriracha sauce. *Insert chef’s kiss!* It truly is a delicious appetizer and snack, and I devoured so many within a few minutes. The best part is that these croquettes are vegan and gluten-free to accompany any special dietary needs. If you are not vegan or gluten-free, feel free to use the non-vegan and gluten-free ingredients, it will taste just as good!
The recipe requires some waiting because the croquettes should be frozen before coated. This is an important step because the croquettes may fall apart if they are not frozen. It is also important to not overcrowd the frying pot. Because the croquettes are frozen, the frying oil drops drastically, so the frying will be affected.
Mozzarella Potato Croquette (V + GF)
yield: 12 croquettes
total cook time: 3 hrs.
- 2 c. boiled potatoes, mashed (NOTE: If you have your own mashed potatoes, you can skip the directions on making mashed potatoes)
- 2 tbsp. margarine or vegan butter
- 1-2 tbsp. unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic or 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley, fresh or dry
- 2 1/2 tbsp. gluten free flour or cornstarch
- 4 tbsp. unsweetened almond milk or water
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 c. panko bread crumbs
- vegan mozzarella cheese to stuff, or any other cheese
For dipping sauce:
- 2 tbsp. vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp. sriracha, more or less as desired
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- In a bowl, add the potatoes, margarine, 1-2 tbsp. almond milk, garlic, and salt and pepper and mix or whisk until creamy. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Place the mashed potatoes in the fridge for 1 hour so it is easier to work with later.
- Once the mashed potatoes are cold, form the croquettes by spooning about 1 1/2 tbsp. mashed potato in one hand, flattening it out, adding a chunk of cheese in the middle, and encasing the cheese with the mashed potato. Roll the ball up tightly and place on a plate lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat this rolling process for the remaining croquettes. Place them in the freezer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Heat a pot of oil to medium to high frying heat.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, and almond milk to make a sticky substance. This is the “egg” used to coat the panko.
- Remove the potato balls from the freezer and coat it in the flour and almond mixture. Then transfer it to the panko bread crumbs to coat completely. Drop them in the fryer when and fry until lightly golden brown. The frying time depends on the heat level, but mine took around 3 min. Fry in batches and do not overcrowd the frying pot.
- Allow to slightly cool and drain on a paper towel.
- Serve with the sriracha mayo and enjoy!
**Nutrition label is for 1 coated croquette, unfried, without sauce**
Great food. Looks so delicious. Thanks so much. Also see some veggies suggessions here https://fantastic-hustler-268.ck.page/8d56b42dd1
Wow these look heavenly! 😍 Can’t wait time try these.
Love this food. Almost the same like begedil😊
Looks delicious, thanks for sharing, will try it soon!
will try this soon.. have to buy some mozarella
Hope you like it!
Those looks so delicious!!
Omg. Nom nom
these look delicious, Jamie! I appreciate the pictures showing the steps.
Great post 😁
You are evil 🙂
Yummy. Potatoes and cheese make a great combination.
They look delicious!
Excited to try these for my birthday dinner tonight! Can’t wait to go through all your vegan recipes.
P.S. Love your bucket list.
what a cute idea and looks tasty!
Wow those look amazing! Definitely trying this recipe 😊
My mouth’s watering!
I’m in love 😍