Make authentic Italian pizza at home in under 2 hours and share with the whole family!
Nothing is better than pizza fresh out of the oven, and homemade pizza doesn’t get fresher than that! This is a simple pizza recipe that is made with traditional Italian ingredients, giving it that authentic taste and rustic, artisan feel. As a disclaimer, I am not Italian, but I purchased Italian products for this pizza and have tasted pizza in Italy before, and this pizza tastes like the real deal!
The ingredients used in pizza are definitely a game changer, from the type of cheese to the type of meat that’s used. The toppings don’t have to be extravagant as, oftentimes, simple is better. This pizza does not include tomato sauce, but is not lacking in flavor since the other ingredients provide sweet and saltiness to the pizza overall. Below are the ingredients used on the pizza:
Burrata cheese: Burrata looks like mozzarella, but only the firm exterior is mozzarella while the inside is made of stracciatella and cream. The cheese is a nice representation of “hard on the outside but soft on the inside”. This cheese melts very nicely on pizza and also adds a touch of cream. Unlike mozzarella, it is not salty.
Medium Spicy Italian Sausage: Much of the pizza’s saltiness will come from the sausage. Find a good quality sausage that is packaged or from the counter. I purchased a medium spicy sausage at my local grocery store for $6.99/lb.
Roma tomato: Roma tomatoes are sweet and delicious! They are relatively cheap and can be found in most grocery stores.
Basil: Italian basil is the best choice for pizza. You may use other basil types if Italian basil is not available. Super fragrant and adds color.
Olive Oil: Use a high quality olive oil that is fragrant.
Artisan Italian Pizza
yield: 12″ thin crust pizza
total cook time: 1 hr. 45 min.
- 1 c. all-purpose flour (125 g.)
- 1 tsp. instant yeast (4 g.)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (1.5 g.)
- 1/2 tsp. sugar (2 g.)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil (13 g.)
- 1/3 c. + 2 tbsp. warm water (86 g.)
- 1/4 tsp. dried herbs and garlic powder
- 2 medium roma tomatoes, sliced
- fresh burrata cheese, 6 oz.
- Italian sausage, 4 oz.
- fresh basil leaves to top
- Combine all the dough ingredients together in a stand mixer and knead for 1 min. or 3 min. by hand. You may add more or less flour as needed. Once the dough is soft, set aside to rise for 45 min.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- After the dough has risen, shape into the 12 in. pizza on a pizza stone or pan, and use a fork to lightly penetrate holes on the dough.
- Top the pizza with the tomatoes, cheese, and sausage. Lightly sprinkle salt on the tomatoes and drizzle some olive oil on the top. Bake pizza in the oven on the middle rack for 20 min. or until golden brown, depending on the oven type.
- Remove the pizza and add the basil on top. Place in the oven for 15 sec. and the basil will wilt down with the remaining heat.
*Nutrition Facts are estimates