This cheesy garlic sausage bread is THE bread for garlic bread lovers! It is so fragrant and fluffy as well as easy to make.
Garlic bread is irresistible, but what about garlic sausage bread? You can elevate your garlic bread game to a whole new level by wrapping a fluffy milk dough around sausage and topping it with garlic butter and cheese. It’s a deadly combo that caused me and my family to overeat as soon as the bread came out of the oven. The bread dough I use resembles Chinese bakery buns- fluffy, buttery, and aromatic. I used to think Chinese bakery-style bread required egg and/or Tangzhong, but that’s not true and omitting both ingredients just makes this recipe more simple! I am using the same bread dough from my Spinach, Bacon, Cheese bread, but I increased the quantities this time.
Since the dough does not include egg, this entire recipe can be made vegan. I tested both non-vegan and vegan versions and the dough tastes exactly the same. The only difference would be the vegan sausage and vegan cheese, for which there are many great vegan sausage and cheese options available. I have included both versions in the recipe below.
The dough can be made in an electric stand mixer or by hand. If kneading by hand, the knead time is slightly longer, which I have included below. Hand kneading time may vary, so you may use the windowpane test to test if the gluten in the dough has developed enough.
Garlic Sausage Bread
yield: 8 breads
total cook time: 2 hr. 30 min.
- 285 g. or 2 c. + 1 tbsp. bread flour
- 20 g. or 5 tsp. sugar
- 3 g. or 1 tsp. yeast
- 2 g. or 1/4 tsp. salt
- 120 g. or 1/2 c. cold water
- 60 g. or 4 tbsp. cold milk, any fat percentage (use light coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk for vegan)
- 18 g. or 3 1/2 tsp. softened unsalted butter (use margarine or vegan butter for vegan)
- 8 hot dogs/sausages (use vegan hot dogs for vegan)
- 75 g. or 1/2 c. + 1 tbsp. shredded cheese, I used Parmesan (use vegan cheese for vegan)
- 50 g. or 3 1/2 tbsp. softened butter (use margarine or vegan butter for vegan)
- 8 g. or 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 g. or 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 g. or 1 tsp. dried parsley + more for garnishing
- To make the garlic topping spread, combine the softened butter, garlic, salt, and dried parsley together. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. Add water and milk and mix on low speed (KitchenAid setting 4) for 10 min. Knead for 14 min. if kneading by hand.
- Add in the softened butter and knead for an additional 5 min. Knead for 8 min. if kneading by hand. Add a little bit of flour if dough seems too sticky. The dough should be soft now. Roll the dough into a ball. Place into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a cloth or lid, and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- After the dough has doubled in size, place the dough on a lightly floured surface and divide into 8 even pieces. I used a scale for accuracy and each dough piece was ~62 g. Roll the dough pieces into balls.
- Take one dough piece and roll it out into a 12-14 in. long strip. Wrap the dough strip completely around the sausage pretty tightly. Repeat for the remaining dough pieces.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the garlic butter onto the dough completely. You may microwave the garlic butter for about 10 sec. to make it more runny.
- On a small tray, pour the shredded cheese out. Take the buttered sausage bread and roll it in the shredded cheese so that the cheese sticks to the dough. Place bread on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or baking mat. Repeat for all breads and cover the breads with foil or cloth. Allow to rise in a warm place for 45 min.
- Preheat oven to 360 F. and place a ramekin with water in the oven. This will add some moisture to the bread.
- Once the breads have doubled in size, place in the oven and bake at 360 F for 13-15 min.
- Remove breads from oven and allow to cool for about 5 min. Brush the remaining garlic butter on top to give a glossy look and sprinkle parsley on top.
*Nutrition facts are estimates
I just sent this link to my wife because I NEED her to make this!
I hope you guys like it! I shared it with my family and we all devoured it so quickly.
Oh my gosh! I wanna make these now!
They’re super delicious!
Looks delicious! I want to try this out some time
thanks! I hope you like it.
Yummy, I’ll have to ask mum to make it together!
Hope you like it!
Awesome video! Looks yummy.
Omg, two of my fave things! These look incredible 😍😍😍
yes! totally irresistible 🙂
😋 thanks for sharing!
thanks for stopping by!
I love your recipes! You have an awesome blog!
LOVE the video! Nice job Jamie!
Looks so tasty
That looks lovely!! Can’t wait to try it out!!
thanks! I hope you like it.