This healthy and protein-packed chicken salad is sandwiched between mini brioche buns for the perfect appetizer or meal!
Rotisserie chicken is one of my favorite grocery items, because as someone who doesn’t consume a lot of meat, this ready-to-eat chicken can be used in many ways immediately or frozen for future use. A rotisserie chicken costs $6-8 on average and is considered cheap because it is made from the whole chickens that the grocery store was not able to sell. It’s a good deal, and I love utilizing the entire chicken, from it’s meat to its bones, which can be used for making chicken stock or soups.
One of the simplest ways to used rotisserie chicken is to make chicken salad since it is a no-cook recipe. Traditional chicken salad calls for mayonnaise, but I often replace mayonnaise with plain yogurt or Greek yogurt, and this was one of those times! The yogurt offers a lighter taste with the same creaminess and is lower in calories and saturated fat. I tossed in chopped almonds, dried cranberries, and celery, and assembled the sandwich with romaine lettuce and sliced tomatoes… So delicious!
The salad was originally for croissants, but my local grocery store sold out and these Nature’s Own brioche rolls caught my eye, so I was eager to try them out. They are similar to Hawaiian rolls, and are the perfect size for appetizers or party finger foods. I am certainly not hosting a party anytime soon, so I just ate 4 chicken salad sliders for lunch and was very satiated .
Yogurt Chicken Salad Sliders
yield: 12-14 sliders
total cook time: 15 min.
- 200 g. or 0.8 c. cooked chicken, cubed (I used white meat from a rotisserie chicken)
- 150 g. or 1 1/2 c. chopped celery
- 65 g. or 1/2 c. chopped nuts (I used almonds. You may use walnuts or cashews)
- 52 g. or 1/3 c. dried cranberries
- 275 g. or 1 c. + 2 tbsp. thick plain yogurt or plain greek yogurt, nonfat or full-fat
- salt and pepper to taste (you will need less if using rotisserie chicken)
- 2 g. or 1 tbsp. dried parsley (optional)
- 12-14 rolls (I used Nature’s Own brioche rolls. You may use Hawaiian rolls)
- 2-3 tomatoes, sliced
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves, cut into pieces to fit the rolls
- Add all ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine. Add more salt and pepper as needed. Refrigerate for 30 min.
- Toast the bread rolls in an oven or air fryer at 350 F for 2-3 minutes until the rolls are slightly toasted. Slice each roll in half.
- To assemble the sliders, add 1 piece of lettuce, then one slice of tomato, and about 2 tbsp. chicken salad. Repeat for the rest of the sliders.
*Nutrition Facts are estimates. This nutrition label is for a recipe with non-fat Greek yogurt.