This loaded egg croissant sandwich with fluffy scrambled eggs and rich toppings is the ultimate breakfast and brunch dish you didn’t know you needed!
Calling all croissant and egg lovers, this sandwich is a loaded and flavor-packed sandwich that is perfect for anyone who needs a little extra energy for the day. It is extremely filling and packed with protein; not your typical, quick breakfast, but great to make once in a while. This sandwich includes a variety of fillings, including one of my favorite toppings in the world: caramelized onions. It just goes so well with many dishes from rice to burgers and sandwiches. The ingredients in the sandwich are all savory so the sweetness from the caramelized onions helps balance out the saltiness. Although cooking caramelized onions is time-consuming, it is extremely worth it as the ingredient is very versatile! In this recipe, I batch-cooked the onions so that I had more for later.
This loaded sandwich includes scrambled eggs, caramelized onions, American cheese, turkey bacon, and avocado. This recipe was great for using up my bulk croissants from Costco, which, by the way, is a total steal at 12 croissants for $4.99! If you have a club membership, I highly recommend purchasing their croissants.
Using a cast iron skillet for this recipe:
- I use a cast iron skillet to caramelize my onions since a fond, browned bits of food stuck on the bottom of the pan, develops easier on a cast iron pan. The fond is scraped later into the onions and creates a deep and rich caramelized flavor.
- Use a wide pan, at least 10 in. wide, for caramelizing 2 onions. Use a 12 in. pan for 3 or more onions. I use the Lodge 10.25 in cast iron skillet with a handle since the iron handle does become quite hot. The greater the surface area, the greater the caramelization.
Loaded Egg Croissant Sandwich
yield: 2 large sandwiches
total cook time: 1 hr.
For caramelized onions:
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 28 g. or 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 g. or 1/8 tsp. salt
For eggs and sandwiches:
- 3 large eggs
- 30 g. or 2 tbsp. milk (any fat %)
- 1 g. or 1/8 tsp. salt
- 10 g. or 2 tsp. unsalted butter
- 2 large croissants, toasted and sliced in half horizontally
- 2 slices American or cheddar cheese
- 6 g. or 2 tbsp. chives, diced, plus more for garnish
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- 2 strips cooked turkey bacon or bacon
- To caramelize the onions, melt butter into a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions in three batches, cooking the first batch for 2 min while stirring, and then repeating the process for the second and third batch.
- Continue to cook onions for 40-45 min, stirring every 3 min. to maintain an even color throughout the onions. Adjust heat as needed. If the bottom of the pan is starting to char, add a bit of water as needed to deglaze the pan. Once cooked, set aside.
- To make the eggs, beat the eggs, salt, and milk together. In a frying pan over low-medium heat, melt the butter. Add in the egg mixture a slowly stir until egg curdles form. Continue to stir until the eggs are slightly set and wet. Add the chives at the end.
- Add the hot eggs onto both halves of the croissants and place the cheese on top so that it melts. Top with avocado, bacon, and caramelized onions. Optional: wrap in sandwich paper and slice to enjoy!
*Nutrition facts are estimates.
This post contains affiliate links, which I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
All favorite foods of mine! Yum!
Nice sandwich. God bless
I liked these sandwiches. Now I’m staving🤣
OMG… I am so gonna try this. It will have to compete against my special poached egg, ham and cheese toasted bread in a butter pan but this look like it could dethrone it!
That sounds amazing too! Hope you like this recipe.
Will try this weekend! As I am in France practically have to! 😉
I want to try this!
highly recommend it!
I need to try this
hope you get a chance to! it’s delish
This looks sooooo delicious!!!