These mini Greek yogurt pound cake loaves are tasty and beautiful, with three, naturally colored layers!
These homemade mini pound cakes are moist and flavorful, with a unique color pattern: pink, white, and green! The three layers of pound cake are naturally-colored and the pastel colors are fitting for Summertime. When it comes to pound cake, I recommend making it at home because the process is simple and allows you to customize the sugar and flavors in the cake. On top of adding my own flavors, I also added Greek yogurt to the mix which substitutes some of the butter and keeps the cake moist and helps activate the baking soda, making the cake more fluffy and light.
The pound cake slices are small and fitting for tea parties, gatherings, or picnics! I have been eating them during breakfast and snack time. They’re also fitting for gifting.
The flavors in the pound cake are strawberry, plain (vanilla), and matcha. The flavorings are subtle and were inspired by the popular strawberry matcha latte, which can be ordered from Starbucks’ secret menu! For the flavors, I used the following items:
Strawberry: Nature Restore Freeze-Dried Strawberry Powder
Vanilla: McCormick Vanilla Extract
Matcha: Sencha Naturals Culinary Grade matcha
The cake can be baked in 1 standard loaf tin or 2 mini loaf pans. I use Cuisinart Mini Loaf Pan Set of 4 which have dimensions of 6.1″ x 3.4″ x 1.9″. If you use these pans, you will likely have a little bit of batter left. I made mini muffins with the left over batter.
*This recipe is adapted from Tastesbetterfromscratch.com
Mini Three Layer Pound Cakes
yield: 2 small loaves (6.1″ x 3.4″ x 1.9″) or 1 standard loaf
total cook time: 55 min.
- 115 g. or 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 185 g. or 1 c. minus 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 6 g. or 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 122 g. or 1/2 c. whole milk Greek yogurt
- 205 g. or 1 1/2 c. cake flour
- 3 g. or 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 g. or 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 g. or 2 tsp. matcha
- 8 g. or 2 tsp. strawberry powder
- Milk (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together with an electric whisk for 2 min. or until creamy.
- Gradually add in the eggs and whisk in. Add in the vanilla and yogurt and whisk to combine.
- Sift in the cake flour, baking soda, and salt, and use a spatula to fold the dry ingredients into the wet. If the batter feels a bit thick, you may add a bit of milk to thin it out.
- Weigh the batter and separate into 3 equal portions into 3 separate bowls.
- Add matcha powder into one bowl of batter and whisk until batter is green
- Add strawberry powder into another bowl of batter and whisk until batter is pink.
- To assemble the cake, spoon some matcha batter in the tin. Spread vanilla batter on top, followed by strawberry batter. Repeat for the second pan.
- Bake the loaves at 350 F for 35-40 min in the middle rack. Remove from oven immediately and cool in the pan for 15 min. Use a knife to run through the edges of the loaf and remove cake from pan.
- Slice to enjoy!
Storage notes: Once the cake is cooled, store in an airtight container. Cakes can be placed at room temperature for 1 day and then in the fridge for up to 5 days. Cakes will harden in the fridge; microwave for ~20 sec. to enjoy. Sliced cakes can be frozen up to 3 weeks.
*Nutrition facts are estimates.
This post contains affiliate links, which I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
What lovely layers. Perfect
These look and sound delicious! And for me, who is not always the best baker :), very uncomplicated to make 🤗
yes, it is pretty simple and tasty!
So sweet and summery! I love the idea of using Greek yogurt instead of butter too. ❤
Ooh love matcha!
What lovely layers! So beautiful.
They look delicious!
Oh my stars these sound delicious!