Celebrate your pup’s special day with a healthy and delicious cake!
Move aside humans! This recipe is for the pups who deserve a special something, baked with love by their owners! This is a doggie cake, made from all-natural ingredients, to celebrate a special occasion, such as a dog’s birthday. It’s incredibly healthy, packed with vegetables, peanut butter, and whole wheat flour, and it’s kind of addicting for the dogs! (Trust me.. our pup could NOT get enough of it).
You might be wondering whether humans can eat this cake and the answer is yes! I tried the cake base and thought it was tasty. You may not want to eat more than one bite though because it isn’t sweet and the icing is made from potatoes!
The process for making the cake is the same as making a human cake. I used my cake decorating tools and used a bit of creativity for the decorations. Please feel free to decorate your cake as you wish. I used the following tools and supplies for this cake:
- Cake turntable
- Icing spatula
- 8 in. square pan
- Floral piping tip
- 4.25 in. round cookie cutter
Please watch the recipe video for any clarification regarding the cooking process and the celebration of our dog’s 3rd birthday!
*Please check if your dog has any allergies to the ingredients
Doggie Birthday Cake
yield: 4.5 in. cake
total cook time: 40 min.
recipe adapted from RecipeTinEats
- 85 g. or 1/3 c. peanut butter
- 42 g. or 2 tbsp. honey
- 42 g. or 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 118 g. or 1/2 c. water
- 2 large eggs
- 300 g. or 1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
- 8 g. or 1 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 120 g. or 1 3/4 c. shredded carrot
- 450 g. or 3 small potatoes, cut into chunks
- 185 g. or 3/4 c. plain, unsweetened yogurt
- In a large bowl, whisk together peanut butter, oil, water, honey, and eggs until smooth. Add in the whole wheat flour, baking soda, and shredded carrots and gently stir until combined. Do not overmix.
- Transfer the thick cake batter to an 8 x 8 in. square pan lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 F for 20 min. Remove the cake from the pan and place on a cooling rack.
- In the meantime, steam the potato chunks for about 10 min. or until tender. Allow to cool for 5 min and transfer the potato to a medium bowl. Add in the yogurt and blend with a hand mixer until smooth, like mashed potatoes. Set aside.
- Once the cake has cooled, use the cookie cutter to cut out two, 4.5 in. circles from the cake. Place the remaining scraps aside (can use as meal toppers for your dog).
- Place one of the cake circles on the cake turntable and spread the mashed potato icing on top. Place the other cake circle on top and coat the cake exterior with icing with an icing spatula.
- Optional: Place the remaining mashed potato icing into a piping bag with a floral piping tip and pipe flower on the cake. Add some shredded carrots on the side of the cake and top with a bone treat! Refrigerate the cake until it is ready to be used.
Take the cake out, light some candles, and sing happy birthday to your dog, who is eager to try this cake! We let our 25 lb. dog eat about 1/8th of the cake in one sitting. Please make sure not to overfeed your dog.
*Nutrition facts are estimates.
This post contains affiliate links, which I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
This is so helpful! I am planning a dog party for our two pups for their first bday next month… definitely making this cake! Loved reading this!
I hope your pups like the cake!
I can’t wait to try this recipe for a Christmas cake for my doggies!
yes, I hope they like it!!
What a good recipe! Thanks!
Great recipe! Thanks for publishing it.
I’d definitely share that with a furry friend.
We may end up fighting over the crumbs of that delicious cake! 😋
This is a cool recipe. Do you have any cereal cheerio bars recipe that have that I can make. I prefer not too sweet.
I suspect your fur baby was quite happy and pleased with the treat you baked. Nice photo of your pet, by the way! I’ll forward this on my blog site for my readers who have fur babies.
You have some great recipe but this is not for a dog, however much you might love it. Bake something for a homeless human and show your love that way.