Add some Korean flavors to your breakfast/brunch toast!
Bulgogi is Korean marinated meat, most often pork and beef, that is grilled or pan-fried. It is full of flavor and is traditionally eaten with rice, but nowadays you can find it with so many other foods like quesadillas, French fries, fried rice, and tacos. The meat is so tasty and fragrant because it is salty and slightly sweet due to the use of grated pears or apples in the marinade. Because I like bulgogi so much, I made a bulgogi beef toast for brunch. I toasted a slice of sourdough, added the cooked bulgogi meat, and topped it with a runny poached egg.. it’s out of this world!
Toasts have become the norm and I enjoy watching people create unique and extravagant toast combinations. When I have more time on the weekends, I also enjoy making fun toasts for breakfast or brunch. If you order toasts from a restaurant, it can be quite pricey so I highly recommend making your own at home.
Before I dive into the recipe, let me provide some information about the ingredients I used.
Bulgogi beef choice: the best cut of beef is rib-eye or sirloin steak where there is some fat to provide tenderness. For best flavor, marinate the meat for at least 8 hours or overnight.
Poached egg: use vinegar in water
Bread of choice: Any low-fat, rustic bread such as sourdough or ciabatta works well. The bread is more sturdy to hold all the toppings and it browns well in the pan.
Bulgogi Beef Brunch Toast
yield: 1 toast (NOTE: recipe makes extra bulgogi beef)
total cook time: 20 min.
For bulgogi meat (Recipe adapted from mykoreankitchen.com):
- 64 g. or 4 tbsp. soy sauce
- 18 g. or 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 30 g. or 2 tbsp. mirin
- 80 g. or 1/2 grated large apple
- 9 g. or 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 3 g. or 1/2 tsp. minced ginger
- 453 g. or 1 lb. thinly sliced rib eye or sirloin steak
- 75 g. or 1/2 onion, sliced
- 15 g. or 1/4 carrot, sliced in thin strips
- 1 slice sourdough bread
- 10 g. or 2 tsp. mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 5 g. or 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 3 g. or 2 tsp. diced green onions to top
- Combine the first 6 ingredients for the meat marinade. Pour into a container with the beef, onions, and carrots, and marinate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Using a grill or pan, cook the meat for about 8-10 minutes or until cooked. Set aside.
- To make the poached egg, crack an egg into a ramekin. Heat a pot of water at 1 ½ inch deep. Add vinegar. Once small bubbles form, swirl the water to create a vortex and add in the egg and cook for 2-3 min. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Slice a thick slice of toast and spread ½ tsp mayonnaise on both sides. Place one side down on a heated cast iron pan and fry until golden brown (about 2 min). Flip the bread and fry until golden brown. Set aside.
- To assemble the toast, add the beef onto the toast, add the poach egg, and top with chopped green onions. Enjoy!
*Nutrition facts are estimates.
This post contains affiliate links, which I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you.