This vegan matcha towel crepe cake with whipped coconut cream and strawberries is such a delicious treat!
Have you ever heard of a mille crepe cake? It is a French delicacy consisting of thin crepe layers with cream in between each layer. It’s a delicious and delicate treat that has recently gained popularity worldwide, particularly in East Asia. Mille crepe cakes are not cheap because cooking so many crepes takes time and care. Each crepe takes around 4 minutes to cook, so a 20 layer crepe cake would require 1 hour and 20 minutes just on cooking the crepes alone!
Don’t fret though. If you don’t want to spend that much time on a mille crepe cake, you can make a towel crepe cake which tastes the same and is of the same concept, but requires fewer crepes per roll. This vegan matcha strawberry towel crepe cake is a tasty and beautiful dessert that is great as a self-treat or as a special gift for others. The cake is lightly flavored with matcha and filled with coconut cream and strawberries. Enjoy the cake for breakfast, dessert, or snacktime and pair with your favorite tea or coffee!
Vegan Matcha Strawberry Towel Crepe Cake
yield: 2 crepe cakes
total time: 3 hours
For crepe batter (recipe adapted from Noracooks.com):
- 188 g. or 1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 10 g. or 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 26 g. or 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 g. or 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 g. or 1 tsp. matcha powder
- 28 g. or 2 tbsp. neutral flavored oil (such as vegetable, coconut, canola)
- 240 g. or 1 c. unflavored plant-based milk (such as almond or soy)
- 250 g. or 1 c. water
- 1 can (13.66 oz) coconut cream
- 24 g. or 3 tbsp. powder sugar
- 2 g. or 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 medium or large strawberries
- additional matcha powder to top (optional)
- First make the coconut cream. In a medium bowl, add coconut cream (do not use the liquid part in the can. You can discard or use it in a smoothie), powder sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk with an electric whisk on high speed until a whipped cream forms. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the crepe batter. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, sugar, matcha powder, and salt. Add oil, plant-based milk, and water and whisk until smooth. Run the batter through a sieve into another bowl and refrigerate the crepe batter for 30 min.
- Place 1 ladle full of crepe batter into an 8 in. frying pan over low-medium heat. Cook for about 3 minutes or until the edges become slightly crispy. Flip the crepe over and cook an additional minute. Place the crepe on a plate to cool. Repeat this process for the remaining batter. You should end up with about 10 crepes.
- Line 5 crepes in a row, with the crepes overlapping the previous crepe. Add half of the cream onto the crepes and spread evenly. Place 3 strawberries onto the top crepe. Fold the sides of the crepe in and roll the crepe up like a burrito. Wrap the crepe roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. Repeat this process for the remaining ingredients to make a second crepe roll.
- Remove the crepe roll from the fridge and sift matcha powder on top. Slice and enjoy!
*Nutrition facts are estimates.
This post contains affiliate links, which I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
Reblogged this on sketchuniverse and commented:
🍵🍓 HI SISTERS! DESSERT ALSO SHOULD BE PICTURESQUE, AND IF IT IS VEGAN, THAT’S BETTER TO YOUR HEALTH (Remember: 320calories), AND FOR PLANET TOO. Here is something interesting about matcha: https://www.loveandlemons.com/matcha-green-tea/
Wow, that looks delicious! 😀 Very fancy.
This looks absolutely delicious! I will have to try and make it. I love any chance to expand my palate.
Looks so fresh and good
It looks lovely. Thank you 😊🌍
This towel crepe cake is adorable!! It’s nice when a mille crepe has an impressive height, but it takes so many crepes and so much filling… love this method!
thank you! I absolutely agree. Mille crepe cakes are beautiful with a ton of layers but there is so much cream when you add it all up.
Goodness, that sounds delicious. Thank you so much for the recipe!
I love it!!
That looks so good!
Looks delicious, I like anything with coconut or coconut flavored!