Make this savory chewy udon noodle dish with a creamy miso sauce in just 20 minutes!
Creamy miso udon noodles, a Japanese and Italian(ish) fusion dish, is a flavor-exploding meal with umami elements. The dish contains chewy udon noodles, thick noodles made from wheat flour, a miso alfredo sauce, brown mushrooms, and shrimp. In a way, it’s basically an alfredo pasta with miso and spaghetti substituted with udon noodles. Udon noodles are one of my favorite noodles because of their chewy texture and ability to hold on to more sauce.
Miso paste, or fermented soybean paste, adds a salty umami flavor to foods and is most commonly used in soups, seafood, and meat dishes. Miso is very versatile, so it’s no wonder that is works extremely well in a pasta dish! This dish is so flavorful and delicious that it is now becoming one of my go-to dishes. For the noodles, I chose to add mushrooms and shrimp, but you may choose to add whatever toppings you prefer. Some possible toppings include chicken, corn, fish, or spinach.
Where to buy ingredients?
Udon noodles: Udon noodles can be bought frozen, vacuum-packed at room temperature, or fresh. I buy frozen or vacuum-packed. These noodles are typically pre-cooked and only require blanching. You can easily find them at an Asian grocery store, or some local grocery stores may sell them in the international aisle. You may also buy them online – I have purchased udon noodles from Amazon.
Miso paste: You can find miso paste at an Asian grocery store, or some local grocery stores may sell them in the international aisle. You may also purchase online here.
Creamy Miso Udon with Shrimp and Mushrooms
yield: 2 large servings
total time: 20 min.
- 14 g. or 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 12 g. or 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 36 g. or 2 tbsp. miso paste (can add more for stronger flavor)
- 6 g. or 1 tsp. mirin
- 6 g. or 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 178 g – 238 g. or 3/4 – 1 c. heavy cream (depends on how creamy you want)
- 12-18 g. or 1-2 tbsp. udon noodle water
- 2 packs of udon noodles (7 oz.)
- 20 grilled shrimp
- 90 g. or 1 c. brown mushrooms, sliced
- sliced green onions to top, optional
- furikake to top, optional
- Place udon noodles in boiled water and soak for 2 min. until the noodles separate. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter and saute the minced garlic for 30 seconds. Add in the miso paste, mirin, and soy sauce and cook for another 30 seconds. Add in the heavy cream and stir. Cook until the heavy cream comes to a simmer. Cook an additional 3 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Add in the udon noodles and mix to combine. You may add some udon noodle water in.
- Add in shrimp and mushrooms and stir to combine. cook for an additional 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are cooked and the sauce has thickened some more.
- Remove from heat and top with sliced green onions and furikake.
Enjoy the noodles while hot! Noodles can be refrigerated for up to 3 days in an airtight container.