An easy Italian sandwich stuffed with meats and vegetables; perfect for picnics and gatherings!
This flavorful Italian-style sandwich is packed with ingredients and it’s so simple to make! The only cooking required is roasting eggplant, but you could even omit this step if you wanted a cook-free recipe. I am always trying to up my sandwich game because I have had my fair share of sad sandwiches. When it comes to sandwiches, I enjoy plenty of fillings and great quality bread. The bread can be a simple milk bread toast or a rustic bread, depending on what type of sandwich you’re going for. This rustic Italian sandwich includes a variety of colorful ingredients and is made on hard bread like rustic Italian or ciabatta. The ingredients are store-bought, although a homemade pesto would be perfect, and all you really need to do is assemble this hearty sandwich.
This is the perfect sandwich for lunch, dinner, picnic, or whatever occasion. The great thing about it is the sandwich just does not become soggy, thanks to the use of a hard Italian bread. Therefore, this would even be an ideal sandwich for meal prepping. Enjoy the sandwich with a bag of chips or side salad, and some sparkling water, and you have got yourself a rather fancy meal.
yield: 8 inch sandwich
total time: 45 min.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 tsp. salt to sweat out the eggplant
- 1/2 tsp. salt to season eggplant
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 8-inch rustic bread (such as Italian or ciabatta)
- 3 tbsp. pesto
- 3 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 3 tomato slices
- 10-12 slices medium salami
- handful of arugula
- To roast eggplant, slice eggplant into 1/2 cm. thick slices and sprinkle salt on both sides. Let the salt sit for 15 minutes so the moisture sweats out. Pat the eggplant dry. Place eggplant on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and salt. Bake at 450 F for 15-20 min.
- To assemble the sandwich, spread pesto and add mozzarella cheese on bread. Toast the bread until the cheese is melted. Add salami, 2 slices of eggplant, tomato, and arugula. Slice the sandwich and enjoy!
- For a clean sandwich cut, wrap the sandwich in sandwich paper and slice.
- If you do not want to roast eggplant, you can omit it or substitute it with raw vegetables of your choice.
- Arugula can be substituted with lettuce, spring mix, or greens of choice
This post contains affiliate links, which I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you.