This loaded breakfast burrito is packed with protein and nutrients that provide the boost of energy you need for the morning!
You are going to love these freezer-friendly vegan, loaded breakfast burritos! They are filled with tofu “eggs”, tater tots, beans, tomatoes, avocado, and a creamy sriracha sauce. There is so much protein from the tofu and beans that the burrito will fuel you up for long mornings. With my on-the-go schedule, I love being able to meal prep most of my meals, including breakfast. Since I am team-savory, breakfast burritos are the perfect breakfast dish for me. You get your carbohydrates, proteins, fats, and vegetables all wrapped up into one bundle.. and no need for utensils!
If you are familiar with vegan cooking, you may be familiar with tofu scrambled “eggs”. The texture and flavor is pretty similar to actual scrambled eggs. Since the tofu in the burrito is combined with other flavors, the tofu flavor overall is not that noticeable. To make the tofu scrambled egg, you will need to press a block of firm tofu. Here is how to do so:
How to press tofu:
Tofu holds a lot of moisture. For certain dishes, the moisture is undesired as it may make your dish soggy. To get rid of the moisture, you need to press tofu for at least 30 min. You can use a tofu presser or use a homemade method that I use. I place a piece of tofu on a cutting board next to my sink, place a small cutting board on top of the tofu, and place a cast iron skillet on the cutting board. Since the cast iron skillet is heavy, it helps squeeze out excess moisture. Instead of a cast iron skillet, you may consider using a large can of vegetables, books, or anything that’s heavy.
Loaded Vegan Breakfast Burritos
total cook time: 50 min.
yield: 5 large burritos
- 2 tsp. oil
- 1 block firm tofu, pressed for 30 min. to remove liquid
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. seasoning rub (I used Kinder’s Woodfire Garlic Rub)
- 2 tbsp. plant-based milk
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 2 c. frozen tater tots, baked or air-fried
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1/2 c. vegan mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp. sriracha
- 5 large tortillas
- In a skillet, add oil over medium heat. Crumble the pressed tofu and add salt, turmeric, nutritional yeast, pepper, seasoning rub, and milk. Saute for 5 min until the mix resembles scrambled eggs. Add the chopped green onions and stir. Set aside.
- To make the sriracha mayonnaise, mix together the mayo and sriracha in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the tomatoes and black beans together. Season with salt to taste.
- To build the burrito, lay down a large tortilla and place some tater tots in the middle (about 6-8 tots). Lightly smash the tater tots with a fork to flatten them.
- Add on the tofu scramble, tomato and bean mixture, avocado, and drizzle with sriracha mayonnaise. Fold the sides in and roll up the burrito.
- Slice and enjoy!
- Read above on how to press tofu
- Burritos freeze well. Wrap each burrito in foil and freeze. Consider cutting them in half before wrapping in foil.
- For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free tortilla
This post contains affiliate links, for which I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
Oh wow!!!!!!!! I’m loving this. Thank you for sharing.
Your food pictures are colorful and beautiful. Everything looks delicious!
Well, if this doesn’t say wonderful breakfast, I don’t know what does!
My fam LOVES breakfast burritos. I’ll try these, thank you!