Make this popular Korean street snack with an ingredient hack!
Have you ever heard of Sotteok Sotteok? It is a popular Korean street snack consisting of grilled or fried rice cakes and sausages on a skewer with a gochujang glaze. The snack is loved by so many because the exterior of the rice cake becomes crispy while the inside is chewy. Rice cakes are a staple in East Asia, particularly Korea, and it is sold in cylindrical or flat-oval shapes. You may have heard of tteokbokki (simmered rice cakes) or stir-fried rice cakes, some popular Korean and Chinese dishes.
However, you won’t even need rice cakes today, because we are cheating the traditional recipe and making rice cakes out of rice paper! The reason I am using this rice paper hack is because I want to stuff the rice cakes with cheese, something I would not be able to do with traditional cakes. Since both rice paper and rice cakes are made of, well you guessed it, rice, the texture ends up being pretty similar. Some people choose to grill or fry their skewers, but I chose to pan fry (and air-fry). All methods work well.
Rice Paper Cheese Sotteok Sotteok
yield: 2 skewers
total time: 20 min.
- 3 sheets of rice paper (round or square)
- 6 tbsp. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 mini sausages
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. gochujang
- 1 tsp. Ketchup
- ½ tsp. honey
- Cut each rice paper in half so that you have 6 half sheets.
- Soak on of the half sheets in water for 5 seconds and transfer to a clean surface. Wait approximately 30 seconds for the sheet to soften and then add in 1 tablespoon of cheese. Roll the rice paper tightly like a burrito, making sure there are no holes. Repeat this process to make 5 more rice cakes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the gochujang, ketchup, and honey. Set aside.
- To assemble the skewer, add 3 rice cakes and 3 mini sausages, alternating between the two.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add vegetable oil. Add the skewers and sear on both sides until golden brown. Cover the skillet with a lid for 2 minutes.
- Brush on the gochujang-ketchup glaze and enjoy!